The State Railway Code for the Stores Department was originally published provisionally in May, 1938. Subsequently four Reprint
editions were brought out as Indian Railway Code for the Stores Department in 1947, 1959, 1970 and 1975 incorporating correction slips issued upto 31st December, 1973.
2. Since then several provisions of the Code have undergone change to accord with the present conditions, especially in the field of computerisation. Certain procedures have also become obsolete, e.g. "Purchase through the Indian Store Department, London". In this revised edition of the Indian Railway Code for the Stores Department, the obsolete chapters and paras have been deleted and all modifications and additions introduced through correction slips upto the No. 202-S,dated9-l-86 have been incorporated.
3. The provisions and chapters included in this edition supersede all the rules and orders contained in 1975 Reprint edition to the extent these have been revised and incorporated in this Code.
4. This edition is published in two volumes in diglot form as per Government of India policy. Volume I contains chapters I to XI and Volume II Chapters from XII to
5. Corrections to this Code when published will be serially numbered. The corrections will be printed on one side in Hindi and English, both in loose leaves, so that these may be pasted at the relevant places.
6. Any error, omission and suggestions for inclusion in this Code or for improvement or amendment of any provision is welcome and may be addressed through the proper channel to the Secretary, Railway Board.
Secretary, Railway Board